Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Grow Your Own Tree in Photoshop CC

Photoshop CC continues to update and toss in features almost faster than I can discover them let alone learn what they do, so I usually just try to keep moving when something unexpected pops up on a menu.
But sometimes, straying off the path leads to great new discoveries.


So there I was going on my way trying to find out what was up with getting patterns to follow paths (which is great!), when I discovered that the bottom of the new "Scripted Path" menu had something called "Tree".

I think I expected some way of organizing paths in a hierarchy, maybe a mind map kind of thing, Windows style directory tree. You know, pretty much anything except a tree.

Nope.

Photoshop CC now has a pretty amazing tree generator. Like wow.
Here's how you do it:



I can't wait till there are more options to this. For instance, maybe it will allow you to generate and mess with 3D trees, maybe you can separate branches and leaves on their own layers, substitute your own textures for leaves and bark and so on. But this is a really cool new feature, perfect for quick background content for games, illustrations and 3D renders.



1 comment: